1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to delete temp files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cowboy622, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cowboy622

Cowboy622 Thread Starter

I have diskcleaner installed and it cleans out histories, URLs, etc.. and it says temp files but it doesn't do that.

Everytime I get an e-mail with an attachment I open the attachment and want to save it to a folder in my documents folder it see the default location as OLK1. This file is full of old attachments.

I've tried going into Windows explorer but can't find this folder anywhere, (even after asking for all hidden files to be seen). I've type a search for *.tmp files to delete them but the search comes up with nothing.

How do I clean out the temp files on my XP machine? Thanks for any info.

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Try- Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup

{redoak}

3. Cowboy622

Cowboy622 Thread Starter

Thanks. I tried it but that OKL1 file is still full when I try to save an e-mail attachment,and I still can't find that file.

Once again, thanks for the suggestion and I'm open to any others.

4. stantley

stantley

What program do you use for email? You have show hidden files selected, but also uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files'.

Try searching for an email attachment by looking for attachment name.*.

5. Saxony

Saxony

Hi
    I don't know if this works with emails but I clean out my Temp files by doing the following in XP: Delete trashy hard drive files (These are usually referred to as temp files). 1.Press start 2. Press search 3. All files and folders 4. In all or part of filename box type: *.tmp,~*.*,*.chk exactly as it appears , there are no spaces between any of the characters. The look in box should have (C: ) in it plus any other hard drives. 5. Press search. 6. When search is complete Press ctrl+a to select all the files that appear, 7. Press delete.

Next delete Windows temp files: 1. Press Start 2. Press Run 3. Then type %temp% in the box. 4. Press Enter Contents of temp folder should appear in the window. 5. Press ctrl+a to select everything in that folder. 6. Send files to recycle bin, leave them there for at least a week to make sure none of the files are needed.

I got this info. from this web site www.theofficeexperts.com/forum/ ages ago but I still use it on a weekly basis. Please check in case there have been any changes.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Saxony

6. sat_i

sat_i

the problem is simple if you want to delete the temp files
    follow this step
    Start->Run
    type %tmp%
    delete as many files as u can
    there might be some files which are still in use and cannot be deleted

7. papabear1941

papabear1941

Get the free program CCleaner at www.ccleaner.com.

It's great. Put it in the schedule to run as often as you want as well as at bootup.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice