1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to delete unused network connections on mobile

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by dougglos, Jun 13, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    I have several network items on my mobile which I have connected to if I am, say, in a hotel but do not have a need for these once I am home. I have tried to delete some of these as I will never need them again, but cannot find a way to do this. It has been suggested that by going to Settings/Network Connections/Wi-Fi and tapping those I wish to delete for good I should be able to see a "Forget" message. But when I tap one I want to delete, I am asked to enter a password, which is of no use to me. Obviously if I am using a particular network item that I will never use again I do not bother to remember its password. Is there a way I can get around this and delete these "never to be used again" items?

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What sort of mobile do you have? android, iPhone or Windows phone so this post can be moved to where it belongs.

3. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Sorry - should have said! It is an Android unit - Samsung Galaxy S5.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You're almost there. Instead of tapping, long press the wifi connection you want to remove and you should get the chance to Forget it.

I find that long press in android is similar to a right click on a mouse. It gives menu items.

5. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    No joy there, I'm afraid - when I long press a connection I want to remove, I simply get the option "Connect to network", which then asks for a password, and, as mentioned in post#1, I have not kept. (I don't know if this is relevant, but those connections I no longer need are all annotated "Secured (WPS available)". Unfortunately that means nothing to me!)

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Sorry all I can find is this
    How to forget a saved Wi-Fi network on Samsung Galaxy S5:
    1. Turn on the Galaxy S5.
    2. Swipe down on the screen to open up the notification panel and select Settings.
    3. Browse to the Network connections section and then tap Wi-Fi.
    4. If Wi-Fi is off, select the ON/OFF switch to turn it on.
    5. Select the required Wi-Fi network profile you want to forget and select Forget button.
    6. The selected Wi-Fi network profile has been forgotten.
    which you says does not work.

My phone only has my home network so I can't test this.

Are you sure that the current wifi networks showing are not in range? That is, it might be one of your neighbor 's? The fact that it asks for a password leads me to think it might be one you can't forget at your present location.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  7. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    OK except for your (4) - should I be able to see an ON/OFF switch, as it's not apparent on my mobile?

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you root your phone?

9. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    I don't even know what that means, so I guess the answer must be no !! (Not a lot of computer experience)

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Yes, if you don't know what rooting a cellphone means, then you didn't do it.

Here's a slightly different help I found:
    Delete / forget network
    1. From any Home screen, tap Apps.
    2. Tap Settings.
    3. Under 'QUICK SETTINGS,' tap Wi-Fi.
    4. If necessary, tap the Wi-Fi Switch to ON. The Wi-Fi Switch moves right and turns green.
    5. Touch and hold on the Wi-Fi network you wish to delete.
    6. Tap Forget network.

11. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    lunarlander :- have followed the steps you show in #10, and the switch is showing green, but still the same result when I touch and hold any of the networks that I want to delete, that is it asks me for a password, which I obviously do not have.

And plodr :- I can guarantee 100% that the networks I want to remove are definitely those that I used when I was away from home and wanted to surf the internet,

But to be honest, the half dozen or so that I was wanting to delete are not doing any harm if I am unable to remove them, so perhaps I should just ignore them now. It was just that I wanted to know if they could be deleted, as I would never use them again !

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

A problem is that those networks will automatically connect once you are within range, whether you want to or not. And hotspots could be dangerous, as you are sharing a network with unknown people, which could be hackers just sitting there and waiting for a prey.

13. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Well, as far as I'm concerned, I reckon that none of these unwanted networks is within 200 miles, so I wouldn't imagine that constitutes "being within range". Or am I wrong?

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  15. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Followed the link that you suggested above, and got as far as Settings, but then General Management is not an option to which I can move on - that is to say it does not appear anywhere on the list of Settings!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice