1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to delete user account in xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yobobski, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yobobski

yobobski Thread Starter

Hi all,

I would like to ask how to delete an admin user account that keeps on appearing every time i reboot the computer, even if i already deleted it in the control panel. Is it done through regedit?

Thanks a lot guys.

yobobski

2. tony007

tony007 Banned

3. yobobski

yobobski Thread Starter

Thanks Tony007,

But I already tried that one. I even tried to disable the administrator account but everytime i reboot the computer, that new account (an admin account) always reappear. I also tried changing the logon screen to classic view but failed also. It seem something is triggering the creation of this account on reboot.

Thanks again.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

You can hide accounts on the Welcome screen, but requires editing the registry. Improperly editing the registry can ruin your whole life, so use caution.

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\Userlist

Right click the username you want to remove from the Welcome screen, then Modify, and change the Dword value to 0.

5. yobobski

yobobski Thread Starter

Thanks Frank4d,

Which account should I modify? There are 3 names with values: IUSR_, IWAM_ and VUSR_ presented in that order.

Do you mean this procedure will only hide the account and not completely delete it?

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

None of those. Those are special accounts that should normally be hidden from the Welcome screen and should show the data as 00010000. Does the account you want to hide show up in that registry key?

7. yobobski

yobobski Thread Starter

No, the account that I want to delete isn't there.

8. yobobski

yobobski Thread Starter

To a very kind soul here... Please help..

Thanks in advance..

9. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

What id the account name?

10. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

Let's try again, but adding the user account to the list:

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\Userlist. Click in the right pane New > Dword value and name the value the same as the account you want to hide (case matters I think), then assign it a value of 0. Log off and back on to see if it works.

(I tried it and it works here).

11. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

On second thought after clicking the link, this is not something I wish to help further with:

12. yobobski

yobobski Thread Starter

Thanks. But what I am pleading is how to disable the account created, not disabling passwords or bypassing it. My intention actually when I tried it was to reset the administrator account of my computer. And it did. The problem now is how to disable it because a new admin account with no password was created for my computer.

13. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

This thread would actually be OK to continue if you or a Mod would delete the name of the application file in post #10 and the link to it in post #12.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

I just removed the two posts dealing with that application, post can stay open.

15. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

Does the advice in (new) post #10 work?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/630907