1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to detect and install soundcard and/or speaker without a cd??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Apit, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Apit

Apit Thread Starter

i reformated my com and thought that i had to only reinstall my printer.im usin WinXP...after i formated my com,i could'nt play all my sound files including mp3's..windows media player says "You either do not have a sound card installed on your computer or it is not functioning properly. If you do not have a sound card installed, you must install one before you can listen to audio in a digital media file. If you do have a sound card installed, refer to its documentation to troubleshoot the problem"..and the thing is i dont even know what kind of soundcard im using..and i lost the cds the com guy gave me when i bought this computer..can u tell me how to detect my soundcard?and reinstall it?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Run the PCWizard and see what it says in the Multimedia section about what sound card you have.
    PCWizard--->[​IMG]

3. Apit

Apit Thread Starter

hey i did wat u told me to do...but i dont know which is my sound card...is it under PCI Device audio or audio playback or audio recording or MIDI output or MIDI input or Device multimedia or audio compression or video compression or speech recognition or windows media player????and after i know which is my sound card,how should i install it??

4. brite750

brite750

d/l and install Everest Home pc info program, it should tell you which card you have and then we need to find drivers for it

5. Apit

Apit Thread Starter

i d'loaded everest home.could u plz tell me how to see which card im using STEP BY STEP!!..im a Computer Illiterate..so i dont know where to look..plz tell me STEP BY STEP and in details how to detect my sound card using pc wizard or everest home and how to install it!plz!

6. Conrad747

Conrad747

run everest and check your motherboard make and model so we could find out if it has an onboard audio or not. and click on the icons to find out more about your system.

7. Apit

Apit Thread Starter

Step By Step!!!specificly!!!could U Plz Plz Plz Guide Me Step By Step In Details Where To Look And Wat To Do...u Cant Juz Tell Me To Dload Stuff And Tell Me It Will Tell Me My Soundcard Juz Like Dat!!obviously It's Under Multimedia But There R More Under That!!so Guide Me Like Im An Idiot...which Maybe I Am..thank U

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    using everest home open and the link that says motherboard. it will tell you which motherboard you have. then you can post back to us what it says. we will probably be able help you find the right driver for your motherboard.

9. Apit

Apit Thread Starter

well it says here the name of my motherboard is unknown..the bus type is Intel NetBurst (front side bus properties)...so?

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    is your computer a no name brand computer or was it built by a local shop? Now look on the everest home click on multimedia devices, then click on pci/pnp audio then post what it says there.

11. Apit

Apit Thread Starter

im not sure bout the name of my motherboard..under PCI/Pnp Audio is VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller...so wat now?

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

"VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller"

Ah! Now we're making sone progress. That narrows it down considerably, but there are still a few variations on that theme, too. We will need to know the chipset of the board or the audio to know which one you need exactly, but if you want to take a chance (A small risk---you can always uninstall it if it doesn't work.), you could try the most recent Vinyl driver. They have incorporated support for even more AC'97 codecs than they did previously, and even some obscure ones now have drivers in the package.

Give this one a try. I'd say your chances are >99%:

http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/audio/Vinyl_AudioCodec_V580a.zip

13. Apit

Apit Thread Starter

kewl...my audio's back on...thnx alot

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

No problem. I told you your odds were in your favor :D.

Thanks for following up.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/320242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice