1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to disable airplane mode *button* in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MarineBand1896, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarineBand1896

MarineBand1896 Thread Starter

I am using an HP laptop with Windows 8.

My problem: I am looking for a way to disable the wifi (airplane mode) button. I am NOT looking for a way to disable wifi or airplane mode, but the actual button that controls airplane mode.

Why?: I never use the airplane mode button (because it is useless), and because Windows thinks its funny to make me go to Charms/Settings/Change PC Settings in order to simply re-enable my wifi after accidentally hitting the airplane mode button (why do they? Who knows.). The reason I keep accidentally hitting the airplane mode button is because I use a mousepad on top of my keyboard while playing games (which frequently hits the airplane mode button). If I cannot find out how to disable the button, then I will simply rip the physical key out of my keyboard (since Windows can't find a better way to solve MINOR issues like these) as a means to stop accidentally hitting the key.

How can I simply disable the button's use?

Thank you,

-Miles

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

The only Airplane buttons in Windows 8 that I have found are the one in Settings and the one you get to via the Network icon in the Notification Area. Are you talking about the latter one? Theoretically that is a toggle that will then turn Airplane Mode back off (i.e., turn the Wi-Fi back on).

On my Lenovo I can also toggle it via the Fn + F5 key combination, but of course that is not part of Windows.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1098604