1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to disable hard drives in bios?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by envaanjaksa, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. envaanjaksa

envaanjaksa Thread Starter

Hi!

I'm reinstalling Windows 7 on an Asus laptop to get rid of potential malware, and when I reboot from DVD I get the error message "More than one hard drive has been detected. Please remove additional hard drives to ensure... etc."

There are four hard drives in my computer. I enter BIOS -> Advanced -> SATA configuration which only shows the option of switching between IDE and AHCI. Where should I look to TEMPORARILY disable the three other hard drives? Or is there any other solution?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Personally, I open the case and disconnect the data cables. Then there is no chance of the drives being accessed.

As for disabling in the BIOS, you should be able to disable each individual port (ie: SATA0, SATA1, SATA2, etc.).

3. replay

replay

You have 4 hard drives in a asus LAPTOP?????
    Maybe partitions???

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That's impossible for ANY laptop.
    Yours either has 1 hard drive divided in 4 partitions or it has 2 hard drives divided into a total of 4 partitions.

What's the complete model number of your ASUS laptop?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. envaanjaksa

Yeah, they're most likely partitions. ASUS K73S

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That model laptop does appear to come with 1 or 2 SATA hard drives with capacities of 320 GB or 500 GB or 640 GB or 750 GB.

Capture.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. envaanjaksa

The ports appear to be grayed out in the BIOS unfortunately. There is only the ahci/ide option and it refuses to select anything below that.

8. envaanjaksa

There are two hard drives with 320 GB each.

9. replay

replay

disconnect the harddrive u want to keep the data (pull power plug or sata)
    then see if u can install windows on the remaining drive..... u will lose all data on this drive

10. kenbok51

kenbok51

Wouldn't it be better to disconnect one drive at a time and see if the thing will boot. That will tell them which drive is the boot drive (unless they're in a raid configuration). Then with both drives connected transfer anything you want to keep from the boot drive to the second drive before you disconnect the second drive to load windows on the boot drive. It might also be a good idea to do this off line and rescan the second drive for viruses in Safe Mode after connecting it back before booting into Windows or going online. You might be able to do that by copying a malware installer to the second drive so you can install it from there in Safe Mode since the new install will not have any programs on it yet.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice