1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Disable Onboard Video Controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jogerson, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jogerson

jogerson Thread Starter

Hi everyone! Could someone help me figure out how to disable my onboard video controller? I have an HP Pavilion 7850 and my current video card sux so i bought one today to replace it. Since its an older desktop its an onboard controller. I went into the bios setup and tried to disable it there but it doesn't give me the option. I need to disable the old one before i can start using the new one right? The only option it gives me is to change how much memory that i want allocated to the video card (500K or 1MB) but not a disable options. Is there another way to do this?

Without disabling it first, as soon as windows boots up the screen goes black. i assume its still using the the old video card.

Any help? Thanks!!

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Go to Start Menu, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Display Adapters......and when you expand it and see your onboard one, be sure you do not delete it, but disable it. That should solve the problem after you reboot.

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice