1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to do a Clean Format?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DNA_Uncut, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNA_Uncut

DNA_Uncut Thread Starter

this is wierd!!!

when ever i try to format! I get a message like! "there's already a windows folder! if you install this windows the files in old windows folder will be over written"!!! As it said, It does the same!!! after installation i get a dual boot instead of single boot!!! The old windows still exists in C: drive

How can i avoid this problem ??? n do a clean install with only single boot!!!

Please help me guys ...

2. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    Sounds like you are loading your install disk once the computer (and windows)has already started. You need to change the booting order of the computer, this can be done by accessing the BIOS. It needs to be changed so that the first item in your booting list is the cd/dvd not the hard disk (which it normally boots from). Once you have changed the boot order to cd, save the settings, insert your disk and REBOOT your computer. Once the clean install is finished you can change your BIOS back so it boots from hard disk again.

It is a good idea, to download drivers that you will need after the reinstallation BEFORE you do the clean install( if you don't have them already on a disk.) The important ones are the motherboard chipset(install first) you will also need, audio, video and your network/ ethernet driver so you can connect to the internet

NOTE: You will lose all DATA and PROGRAMS installed when doing a clean install, make sure you have saved externally any documents you wish to keep.

a handy site to read first http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice