How to do background processing in PHP?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vidyaishaya

At least, that's what I think I want.

In PHP, I have written an email subscription management program. When a user wishes to send email to the subscriber list (say, for 7,000 subscribers) what happens is that the browser window remains blank for a long time, until the mailing is finished. Which is OK, except for the fact that it would be nice to allow the program operator to be able to visually see how far along the mailing has gotten.

Since PHP doesn't pass anything along to the browser until it's finished, this is a problem. I *think* what I want to do is perhaps create a message queue in a database table, and then let some other process send the email. I'm not attached to that solution, but it seems reasonable. Then I can query the database from the original process to see how far along the "background" process has gotten.

But I don't know how to do that. Any hints?

Or any other suggestions how the issue can be solved?

Thanks

.....Vidya
www.webwisesage.com

One solution which im thinking of implementing on my site is an XHTML loading bar using the PEAR HTML_Progress2 package from http://pear.php.net/

I think you need PHP5 for the package.

Might be worth a shot.

Jon.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online