1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to do this?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by challapradyumna, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. challapradyumna

challapradyumna Thread Starter

I am trying to create a site similar to IMDB . I am half way through but i am stuck at the cast and crew part. Can any one give me a idea of how to pull that off .

Sample Link :- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082886/

I am using PHP & MySQL.

2. challapradyumna

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Don't bump your post after just a few hours. You're asking a very obscure and vague question. I see you didn't get any responses to your last thread on this. If you have a specific question about code, post the details.

4. challapradyumna

Sorry for the early Bump. My question is " Is there any way to put links along with the names in the database without writing <a href..................... </a> everytime??"

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's how you store an HTML link.

The wording of your question makes me wonder if you really understand what you're designing.

6. challapradyumna

Yes i do.

But i am wondering if there is an easier way since all that changes is the final segment of the URL. BTW i am using Codeigniter.

7. ehymel

ehymel

Agree with doublehelix, your question is not at all clear. I'm guessing at what you are really asking, but surely you understand that you don't have to store the actual characters "<a href=..." *in the database* for every link?

8. challapradyumna

Yes i don't want to store the actual letters <a href.....> in the database because it becomes such a repetetive task.

9. sepala

sepala

Hi, could you please explain the situation a bit? :)

10. challapradyumna

[​IMG]

I dont want to write the whole thing as in the screen shot i want something simple.....

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why are you storing a URL in the database? Aren't you presenting this in a browser?

12. challapradyumna

The url is a variable changes with the page. That is my problem.

13. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Why don't you just store the unique bits of the url in the database table. Then in your php code add the <a href etc as these bits will never change. You don't need to store the entire url. If all the images are in the same folder / directory you only need to store the name of the image and then your code can build the rest of the url.

14. challapradyumna

Ok. On the same note can you suggest a way to that for the cast where there are more number of Variables to store.

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Do you know what normalization means for database design? Why are you re-writing IMDB? If you want to learn a subject, pick one and study it. You're trying to write code for concepts you don't seem to grasp yet.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice