1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Downgrade from Vista Home Premium to Home Basic

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by zoomy123, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zoomy123

zoomy123 Thread Starter

I don't have enough RAM on my computer to run vista home premium, and I don't have enough money to buy anymore RAM. Therefore, how do I downgrade from vista home premium to vista home basic? (By the way, I only have 766 MB of RAM on my computer). Please help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. zoomy123

zoomy123 Thread Starter

I've opened system configuration, now what do I do? However, I've already done this before; I've basically disabled all unncessary programs on my computer, or at least I think so. What else can I disable?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Run Startup Control Panel and see what starts with Windows. There are probably programs starting there that you don't need to have running until you need them.

Go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services to configure what services you want running and how they start. Never use msconfig to control services.

Look in the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) to see what processes are running. Check to see if you recognize any programs running that you don't need.

If you have a USB drive, set it up to use ReadyBoost as additional memory cache.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'd suggest to first disable the aero effect: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/966/vista_enable_or_disable_aero_glass_transparency_effect

And try running w/o the Sidebar and its gadgets to see if that makes a difference.

I'm guessing, since Microsoft recommends 1 Gigabyte memory and they never recommend too much, that even Home Basic will be sluggish at times with less memory.

You can use Task Manager to monitor your memory usage and maybe alter your practices a little for better performance.

If you are using IE, try Firefox. I haven't verified it, but supposedly it's less memory intensive than IE.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Take a look in Control Panel > Programs and Features. Look at your Windows features and see what can be removed.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Look at your Windows features and see what can be removed."

Seems like overkill for a memory and speed issue. I better liked your earlier suggestion to prevent unneeded applications and services from running at startup. :)

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, the OP wanted to downgrade and that is exactly what removing features would do. There may be no need fo mobility extras, Tablet PC, IIS extensions, or other things that never get used by the user.

9. zoomy123

zoomy123 Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll see if your suggestions help.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

I just have to ask if you have checked out memory at online stores. Recently I bought 2 gb ddr2 800 Corsair XMS ram for $28 with rebate twice at www.newegg.com. I mean ram is relly cheap these days. $44 at www.zipzoomfly.com without as rebate.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice