How to download a large file in stages ??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

exceller

Running XP with SP3.

I want to download a free trial of AutoCad 2010.

"http://download.cnet.com/AutoCAD/3000-6677_4-10573933.html"

This file I believe is of some 2.5GB and my download speed is approx. 2mb.

So when trying to download this file, it indicates that will take approx. 25hrs to complete.

Is there anyway of capturing what's downloaded in a temp file and then pick up again to continue the download in number of sessions till completion of the full download.

At present if I shut the page or turn PC off, it starts the download again from scratch when restarting.

thanks.

You can do stop and resume downloads by using a download manager. I don't have any recommendations for any though, someone else will chime in shortly.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
This file I believe is of some 2.5GB and my download speed is approx. 2mb.

So when trying to download this file, it indicates that will take approx. 25hrs to complete.
By my calculations with your download speed, it would take a little less than 3 hours to download.

---------------------------------------------------------------

exceller

Ok,

I've tried using Gigaget by Giganology inc., Flashget and free download manager.

They download in approx. 6 or 7 hrs, tried approx. serveral times and each time one or more files are corrupt.

Now trying direct download from Autodesk, but its so slow taking so far 24hrs plus and 4hrs more to go and if I shut down and restart at another time I cannot pick up again as you can with any of the managers.

Why is a download manager faster than a direct link, has IE8 have a speed limit as this direct download is only from the actual web page, not a 'run now or save to file'.

thanks

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Downloading files is at the fastest speed is an art.
The faster ways do not download the file in one go. What they do is split it into several chunks and download several at the same time. Then rebuild it locally.
IE has a setting for the maximum number of simultaneous downloads that you might want to look up and change.
Firefox does as well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online