1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to download a large file in stages ??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by exceller, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Running XP with SP3.

I want to download a free trial of AutoCad 2010.

"http://download.cnet.com/AutoCAD/3000-6677_4-10573933.html"

This file I believe is of some 2.5GB and my download speed is approx. 2mb.

So when trying to download this file, it indicates that will take approx. 25hrs to complete.

Is there anyway of capturing what's downloaded in a temp file and then pick up again to continue the download in number of sessions till completion of the full download.

At present if I shut the page or turn PC off, it starts the download again from scratch when restarting.

thanks.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

3. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

You can do stop and resume downloads by using a download manager. I don't have any recommendations for any though, someone else will chime in shortly.

4. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

And Dave did as I was slowly pecking away at my keyboard.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    By my calculations with your download speed, it would take a little less than 3 hours to download.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. DaveBurnett

MegaBIT????

7. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Ok,

I've tried using Gigaget by Giganology inc., Flashget and free download manager.

They download in approx. 6 or 7 hrs, tried approx. serveral times and each time one or more files are corrupt.

Now trying direct download from Autodesk, but its so slow taking so far 24hrs plus and 4hrs more to go and if I shut down and restart at another time I cannot pick up again as you can with any of the managers.

Why is a download manager faster than a direct link, has IE8 have a speed limit as this direct download is only from the actual web page, not a 'run now or save to file'.

thanks

8. DaveBurnett

Downloading files is at the fastest speed is an art.
    The faster ways do not download the file in one go. What they do is split it into several chunks and download several at the same time. Then rebuild it locally.
    IE has a setting for the maximum number of simultaneous downloads that you might want to look up and change.
    Firefox does as well.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice