1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to dual boot windows 8 and windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lili5689, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lili5689

lili5689 Thread Starter

I installed windows 8 but then did something with windows 7 (i got the windows 7 bootloader back) but now i can't boot windows 8. I know i can set it to put windows 8 on it's default bootloader but i want the windows 7 one.

2. davehc

davehc Trusted Advisor

Launch it normally, but at the appropriate screen, quite early in the installation, choose "Custom" and then go forward. You will then be asked where you wish to install. It is a good idea, before booting the DVD, to give a name to your new proposed partition. This will prevent any misidentification.

Sorry. Something seems to have gone awry with your posts. This was meant for the post , answering your query on how to install on a third partition.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You need to install from oldest to newest. The older OS has no way of recognizing the newer one to create the dual-boot menu.

4. davehc

davehc Trusted Advisor

The post is, and the OP, is four weeks old. As the OP hasn't responded, I think he has probably sorted it out.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

davehc, I think that the guy to whom you were responding is a spammer trying to build a post count, and have made him disappear. :)

6. managed

managed Allan

FWIW with a 7 and 8 dual-boot I think you can get the 7 bootloader back by making 7 the default OS with EasyBCD.

If the OP is still around you may have to add 8 onto the bootmenu, I think EasyBCD can do that too.

7. davehc

davehc Trusted Advisor

Well done, Terry. The problem is getting progressively worst!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058573