how to dual boot XP and 7 with 2HDD in RAID

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

acerzr2

I am getting ready to build a brand new computer from scratch with 2 WD Velociraptor HDD's. I want to set them up in a RAID 0 for the speed. I also want to dual boot with Windows 7 64-bit and Windows XP 32-bit. My question is... what is the proper way to dual boot these 2 operating systems, and will it work with 2 HDD's in RAID 0? As I said, this is a new build that I haven't started yet. I already know how to set up a RAID array. Just don't know how to dual boot.

will it work with 2 HDD's in RAID 0?
Yes

Its fairly easy, Install XP, create a partition of at least 60gb for XP, leave the rest for W7.
After XP is installed, install W7, create another partition on the leftover space for W7 to install on.

Partition creation can be done during XP setup and W7 setup.

W7 will install a nice bootloader for both OSs.

Remember with Raid 0, if anything goes wrong with either hard drive, you lose all data.

acerzr2

Mumbodog, thanks for the answer. Will I need to install all of my programs on both partitions? How about Windows updates? Will I need to do updates for both partitions?

acerzr2

So, if I use Norton Internet Security 2010(3 user pack), this will take up 2 of my 3 users?
Also, will I have to install drivers for everything separately for both OS's?

So, if I use Norton Internet Security 2010(3 user pack), this will take up 2 of my 3 users?
Also, will I have to install drivers for everything separately for both OS's?
Hi acerzr2,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Since you will have a dual-boot system, you will need to install Norton Internet Security 2010 on both installations of Windows seperately. This will use 2 of the 3 licenses that you purchased.

Thanks,
Mike

will I have to install drivers for everything separately for both OS's?
Download them in one file on xp and install them ,put them on a USB or something,then put the folder on windows 7 and just install them when you need them because with my experience windows 7 needs a lot less drivers than xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online