How to edit PDF files???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

go4saket

Hello friends!

Can you please tell me how can one edit a PDF file? Say for exapmle that I want to highlight some stuff, delete some, add some thing new, add or delete images or even create a PDF from scratch, which is the best software to do this.

Thank you.

One of the main values of a pdf file is that it can't be easily tampered with.

But you can create your own pdf files with this free download:
Primo PDF available here
http://www.primopdf.com/

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you have Photoshop - It'll open a pdf where you can edit it as a raster Image file.

If you need to do this for a business, it may be a good investment to buy Adobe Acrobat (professional).

go4saket

Can some one also suggest me a really good and efficient PDF to Word converting software?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Although many applications exist that claim to edit PDF files, I've never found one that truly does a seamless job of it. As xgerryx says, it's a display format, it was never intended to be edited. The way to "edit" PDF files is to edit the source used to generate the PDF file and generate a new one.

go4saket

I tried a few softwares mentioned in this forum but am not very satisfied as the look and the feel of the file changes. My basic aim is to highlight and bookmark important lines in the file so that I can refer them in future. If adding some notes or comment can be possible, it would be like icing on the cake. Now guys, can you recommend me some software with which I can achieve this kepping the format of the file intact.

It all depends on the nature of the protection implemented when the file was originally created as a PDF.

If it was correctly protected, you cannot usually edit it in any software with any success.

As noted above, the usual purpose of PDF is often to prevent editing or tampering, so your task may be frustrated at the source.

I have reasonable success with unprotected PDF files using SolidPDF converter software, they convert to Word format very well with the exception of tables and line graphics.

As JohnWill states, you should always seek the originating document to edit, not the resulting PDF.

I create many PDF documents, as they are mostly documents with legal or regulatory issues I need to make sure they are not able to be edited / copied and pasted, only pasted as an uneditable "image". That is one reason why PDF is widely used.

go4saket

I actually have a few ebooks like Windows XP for Dummies etc and I want to highlight some important part in the book so that I can refer it later. No other reason to edit a PDF file...

Documents allowed to be read/edited (less security selected in the conversion to .pdf) can often be "copy/pasted" to WORD (or, in my case, OpenOffice) using the SELECT tool in Acrobat Reader.

I use Abbyy FineReader 7.0- which can often read the .pdf quite effectively--- then paste it into OpenOffice to edit the result. OpenOffice can then save the file directly as a .pdf (This works so well that I wouldn't be surprised is the more specific products mentioned by the same software house would be well worth the money spent).

Reading your specific need, I wonder if one of the "Sticky Notes" kinds of programs- could help you attach a "Post-It" as a commentary/note for later recall?? (But I have never tried it).

letchworth

go4saket

I tried Solid Convertor PDF 3 and it did a really good job. It had options for converting for both PDF to DOC and DOC to PDF, but there was one problem. When I converted from PDF to DOC, the file size increased by many folds, there by making it very difficult to work on the file in DOC format. Say a 10 MB PDF turned out to be about 100 MB DOC.

Now, what can be done in this so as to keep the file size of about the same.

I tried Solid Convertor PDF 3 and it did a really good job. It had options for converting for both PDF to DOC and DOC to PDF, but there was one problem. When I converted from PDF to DOC, the file size increased by many folds, there by making it very difficult to work on the file in DOC format. Say a 10 MB PDF turned out to be about 100 MB DOC.

Now, what can be done in this so as to keep the file size of about the same.
Nothing--- that is the inherent overhead in MSWord--- It's the "nature of the beast".

Use a program like pdfcreator-- (which installs like a printer, in that when you want to convert to .pdf you invoke it as you would a printer and it saves the file in .pdf format). The resultant file, depending upon what options you select, should be of comparable size to the original .pdf file.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57796

letchworth

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online