1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Edit START button Context Menu?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vynce, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vynce

vynce Thread Starter

I know I've seen this control somewhere but I have searched EVERYWHERE with no luck. I want to edit an entry on the menu which is displayed by right-clicking the START button (Open, Explore, Search, Open Command Window, etc.). I have a program specific entry (Browse with Paint Shop Pro 9) which I would like to edit so that it opens the PSP 9 browser to a specific folder, rather than the start menu in "C:\Documents and Settings\..."

Any suggestions?

Thanx!

2. keithy397

keithy397

Hi Vynce,

I don't know how you do it with PSP9 but with Irfanview, this is achieved by going this route:-

Click Options and then what you see here:-
    [​IMG]
    And then this is how the right click on Start looks after:-
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

3. mike5532g

mike5532g

4. vynce

vynce Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your very good suggestions! Well, I have found the registry key where the command is stored. However, I do not know how to substitute the location of my choice (D:\My Documents).
    ================================
    This is the current registry command:

REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Jasc Software Inc\Paint Shop Pro 9\\Paint Shop Pro 9.exe" "/Browse" "%L"
    ================================

So, I guess, I would want to remove that final "L" and insert the directions to "D:\My Documents", eh? HOW do I do that??!!

Thanks!

5. vynce

vynce Thread Starter

C'mon! Somebody knows how to do this. School me!

6. vynce

vynce Thread Starter

C'mon! Somebody knows how to do this. School me!

7. vynce

vynce Thread Starter

This issue still UNRESOLVED, despite considerable research. I remain hopeful some of you good folks will take a second look at my situation. Thanks.

8. hewee

hewee

Hi Big V,

Been a long time. Good to see yea here.

On my "C:\My Documents" I can just right click the folder on my desktop and go to properties and then it likes you pick the target folder you want.
    On adding to the right click I don't know how. But there was a program posted here on how and I tried it long ago but I don't have it now or remember the name of it.

Try looking here to start with.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=How+to+Edit+START+button+Context+Menu

9. vynce

vynce Thread Starter

Hey hewee! Always a pleasure to cross paths with you once again. This darn START button context menu thing has me bugged. Don't really want to ADD or Delete an entry; rather, I simply want to EDIT an existing entry created by installing Paint Shop Pro 9. I have found the Registry Key and can readily edit the key myself but I dont't know the language to indicate the change I want to make.

The existing key's final string (indicated the folder location to point PaintShopPro's browser is:

........"%L"

Apparently, "%L" translates to:

"C:\Documents and Settings\AMD\Start Menu"

All I need to know is what to insert/delete so that the new folder to which the PaintShopPro browser will point is:

"D:\My Documents"

I am afraid to simply type in the correction in plain English!

Surely somebody knows this (?!)

Great hearing from you hewee!

10. hewee

hewee

Same here vynce. :)

Just why do you want to edit the start menu for photoshop? I looked in the preferences to see if there was any place so it does not always open in the start menu but could not find one. That really is not a good place to have it open to because who has images there to start with.

Ok now on the C:\My Documents folder. I made a D:\My Documents 2 folder and then I right clicked the C:\My Documents folder on my desktop and went to properties and then pick the target folder and went to the D:\My Documents 2 folder and it worked just find. Even changed the D:\My Documents 2 folder so it looked the same. The My Documents folder on the desktop looked the same but it opened in the new place.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!