1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How To Eject External HardDrive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by reeling, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reeling

reeling Thread Starter

I'm trying to eject a Toshiba External Harddrive. However, when I right click it I don't see any eject button, and I also do not see the "safely remove hardware" button on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Please help! I need to get it out ASAP.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Is the light on the Drive saying it is still doing something.........

3. Megabite

Megabite

You can use a paper clip or similar and poke it in the front tray where there should be a small hole just for this problem

4. reeling

reeling Thread Starter

No, it blinks when it is doing something. It is just a solid light!

5. reeling

reeling Thread Starter

MegaBite, I looked all over for this hole and can't find it.

6. Megabite

Megabite

If it gets power from a separate source just turn the power OFF and then back on and see what happens....also if it is USB connected just unplug it

The hole is very small.....also take a look under neath it there maybe a thing there

7. reeling

reeling Thread Starter

Is it safe to just unplug it? It's USB connected.

8. Megabite

Megabite

Yes ...you will get a bong ...but it will be plug and play so its ok.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Is the "safely remove hardware icon" perhaps behind "show hidden icons" shield on tray?
    Turning ot off once is fine but I would not make a habit of that. What you can do is right click the drive in "disks" in "Device Manager" then "Properties", "Policies" and check "optimize for quick removal" then you can not worry about "safe removal" anymore. It will slow the drive slightly but you most likely will barely notice it. If it is already checked then you have your explanation.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/733845