1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to enable Printer Spooler

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Calculon5000, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Calculon5000

Calculon5000 Thread Starter

Last year my laptop computer suffered from a virus, Windows Security 2012 and I had to operate in safe mode to get rid of it. I also needed to go into msconfig and delete the service that the virus ran. When I did that, I chose Selective Start up and disabled some of the Microsoft services.

Recently I tried to add an HP printer to the laptop. After installing the printer, it was able to print well but after restarting the computer I did not see the icon. The printers and faxes folder was also empty and I received a message "printer spooler service is not running."

I went back into msconfig and found printer spooler unchecked and a "Stopped" message. I clicked the enable all button to enable all microsoft services, but when I checked again it is still not running.

What can I do to make the spooler service work?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Click Start > Run > type regedit

Press Enter.

Browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Providers

Delete the Providers that aren't the default ones:

The default ones are:

Internet Print Provider

LanMan Print Services

3. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    You are going to want to go into computer management. Go to the start icon in the left hand corner. Type computer management. click it. On the left hand side at the bottom, go to service and applications. Then go to services. Look for print spooler service. Make sure you start it and change startup type to automatic. If you have windows xp, you can get to computer management this way: Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Then go to service and applications. Then to services. Let me know if that works

4. C141

C141

Give this a try:

Start > Run > Type "Services.msc" Hit Enter

Scroll down the list to "Print Spooler" & set it to "Automatic" Hit "Apply" & "OK"

Note: Print Spooler is dependent on "Remote Procedure Call" enabled

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If no luck with all of the above,

Click Start > Run > Copy/Paste the following command:

regedit /e C:\look.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler"

Press Enter.

You won't notice anything. However, it will have created a report on your C drive named look. Attach that file to your next reply.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice