1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to enable security on a wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pawkcm, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pawkcm

pawkcm Thread Starter

Inherited a Linksys 2.4ghz 802.11b wireless routerr and although I have added apassword, it sti ll shows security disabled when using it. And yes, I still have typing issues:)

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did you only set an administration password for the router? That is different than enabling WEP or WPA encryption on the wireless portion and creating a pass phrase or key.

3. pawkcm

pawkcm Thread Starter

not sure what you mean. where do I do this?
    thanks

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you setting up the router using some kind of wizard software from Linksys? In that case may not be able to help you. I am not at all familiar with their software.

If you are accessing the router using a web browser, did you only set a password to access the route settings pages? If so, you will need to figure out how to navigate to the correct web page on the router that allows you to set or change the wireless configuration of the router.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!