1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to enable serial ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jack426, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack426

jack426 Thread Starter

Well i just bought my son the iquest from leapfrog with the mindstation. You have to hook it up to a serial port on the pc. I have 2 and have my external modem hooked to one port and the mindstation hooked to the other. It is not recognizing the second port. How do i make sure that it is enabled and how do i enable it if it is not enabled? Simple instructions please. I have checked on control panel/settings under ports and it only shows com1 and lpt1(printer here) so i am assuming that i have 2 ports they are on the back of the machine and that 1 is not enabled right?? don't want to cause other problems with the pc but have to get this thing working!! help please???

2. Dan O

Dan O

What make and model PC do you have?

3. jack426

jack426 Thread Starter

not a specific make and model i bought it at a computer show about a year ago it is a pentium 3 800 i believe. :confused:

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi jack426

You will need to get into the BIOS (or setup) By pushing a key when the system boots up. Which key depends on what bios you have. Look on the screen during boot up as sometimes it shows what key you need to use. When you are in setup look for something like integrated peripherals under which you should see a setting for com1 and com2 be sure both are enabled and save changes when you exit the setup program.

From BrianF

list of different key combinations used to enter bios setup

Entering CMOS For Different Motherboards
    Press Tab during boot=Emachine
    Press del during boot= (AMI, Award).
    Press Esc during boot= Toshiba.
    Press F1 during boot= (Toshiba; Phoenix; Late model PS/1 Value Point and 330s).
    Press F2 during boot = (NEC).
    Press F10 when square in top RH corner of screen= (Compaq).
    Press Ins during boot=IBM PS/2 with reference partition.
    Shift Ctrl Alt + Num Pad del= - Olivetti PC Pro.
    Ctrl Alt ? =some PS/2s, such as 75 and 90.
    Ctrl-Esc = Misc Puters
    Ctrl Ins= some PS/2s when pointer at top right of screen.
    Press reset twice= some Dells.
    Ctrl Alt Enter= Dell.
    Ctrl Alt Esc=AST Advantage, Award, Tandon.
    Ctrl Alt + =Misc Puters
    Ctrl Alt S= Phoenix.
    Ctrl Alt Ins= (Zenith, Phoenix)
    Ctrl S =(Phoenix).
    Ctrl Shift Esc= Tandon 386.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice