how to enable usb ports?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

g.ramesh

hi

as some of the computers in our office got infected with virus due rampant use of usb sticks, I tried to disable usb ports in one of the pc through device manager.

When one of the ports were disabled mouse stopped working, hence I enabled that port. Thereafter I disabled one or more ports and it was ok. After that in the next step I disabled the next port in the list, oooops mouse and keyboard stopped working.

I tried to undo the above by using ps/2 - usb adapter and connecting the usb mouse and keyboard to these adapters. But the pc is not recognising the mouse and keyboard.

The pc in question is HP pc with Win xp prof sp2.

Please tell me how to undo the above?

Did you reboot after plugging in the PS/2 adapters? Some computers do not like having PS/2 connections plugged in or unplugged while the computer is on. Otherwise, instead of using an adapter, you might try looking for an actual PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

g.ramesh

Did you reboot after plugging in the PS/2 adapters? Some computers do not like having PS/2 connections plugged in or unplugged while the computer is on. Otherwise, instead of using an adapter, you might try looking for an actual PS/2 mouse and keyboard.
Thanks DerekC for your reply. Yes I rebooted the pc after plugging ps/2 adapters,still it did not detect them.
I did the same thing (before reading your reply though, I promise) i.e plugged a ps/2 KB and undid the above.
Suppose the pc does not have ps/2 port, how to solve the problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online