1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to enter a mode where things don't appear in full screen

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Stevenpd, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevenpd

Stevenpd Thread Starter

I think there is a mode on windows xp you can enter so games such as world of warcraft wont' run in full screen. I don't know how to access this mode thouhg, but would like to because without eveyrthing in full screen it will use less of my computers resources and this way my computer won't freeze up. Can anyone tell me how to enter this mode?

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Well, I'm only guessing, but I think it depends on the game, not on Windows, whether or not you can play it in windowed mode.

Also, I don't think you would gain much with it. Once I tried playing a game in window mode. When I set it up, it warned me to think over twice, because in window mode I possibly will experience performance problems, glitches, etc., and that full screen is better.
    Usually games use the same resolution in full screen as in window mode, so, I think, it requires the same computing performance. It's seems only logical that if Windows has to update the desktop besides the game screen, it consumes more resources than the game screen alone.

Performance problems are generally addressed by expanding RAM, defragging HDD, cleaning the OS from virus/Spyware, etc. But someone with expertise might know better.

3. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

Something tells me that Jimmy is right, that running in fullscreen consumes *less* resources. If the game is under-performing, you can lower the graphics settings, especially the resolution, or else upgrade the hardware, especially the RAM.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/504550

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice