1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How to exit check disk?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Oriole, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oriole

Oriole Thread Starter

My laptops been acting funny lately. It won't go through Windows update, Avast didn't pick anything up during a boot scan or a safe mode scan. Trying some of the trouble shoot tools from Microsoft get stuck either on "looking for updates, or scanning. I had tried microsoft malware tool and left it overnight and it was stuck at 13 % .

And now my check disk, yes I selected both options, is stuck on 13% too. The files number continues to increase but it's been stuck at 13% for two hours. Its never gone this long before.

Is there a way to safely exit disk check so I can formally start a help thread? Thank you.

I'm sorry I can't not provide my computers specs right now. I'm writing this on my phone. It is a HP Service pack 1 Windows 7 64 bit from what I can remember.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If it's a HP brand laptop, advise us what its model name and complete model number is.
    Also advise us what the exact product number(P/N) on it is.

What version(Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, etc.) of Windows 7 SP1 64-bit is it running?

Considering all the issues that you're having with it, a Windows 7 reinstall and a fresh start may be what it needs.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. Oriole

Oriole Thread Starter

Hello Flavallee,

That was the feeling I was getting but how can I exit the check disk screen so I can provide the system information?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The model number and product number will be on the labels/stickers on the bottom of that laptop's case.

I would assume you know which version of Windows 7 64-bit is running in that laptop.

5. Oriole

Oriole Thread Starter

Hello again Flavallee,

- Disk check finally finished but the Windows Update still didn't work.
    - I decided to use the recovery tool on my laptop to reset it to factory settings today, Windows Update still is not functioning properly. It remains stuck on "Checking for Updates"
    - Should I follow your instructions from your thread of "Steps for Installing and Updating Windows 7 SP1?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2370M CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3992 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1804 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 444 GB (413 GB Free); D: 20 GB (2 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1841
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Disabled

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC, but I can't confirm that without knowing the product number(P/N) on your laptop.
    My install and update guide is designed for a "clean" install of Windows 7 SP1.
    If you did a factory reset and reverted that laptop back to its original condition like it was when you bought it and set it up for the first time, that's not a "clean" install.
    Several programs and factory bloatware would've been reinstalled along with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.

Load a webpage in Internet Explorer, then click "Help - About Internet Explorer".
    A small window will appear.
    What's the exact version listed there?

Type wuaueng.dll in the search or run box and then press the Enter key.
    Right-click that file name and then click "Properties".
    When the small window appears, click the "Details" tab.
    What's the exact version listed there?

7. Oriole

Oriole Thread Starter

I provided the screen shot

model is g6t-2000
    product A4G29AV

Attached Files:

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    7.6.7600.320 is a very old version of the Windows Update Agent(wuaueng.dll) app and is why Windows Update is bogged down with the "checking for updates" process.

wua.jpg

9.0.5 is a very old version of Internet Explorer and is no longer supported by many websites and is another reason why Windows Update is bogged down.

ie9.JPG

Start with the step for installing Internet Explorer 11, then work your way down the list of KB updates.

Make sure to read the instructions carefully about how to stop Windows Update from running before installing each KB update.

If you take your time and do everything correctly, Windows Update will work fine afterwards.

I've done 3 "clean" installs of Windows 7 SP1 in different computers in the past 2 weeks, and these steps have worked fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    HERE is the support site for the HP Pavilion g6t-2000 CTO(Custom-To-Order) Notebook PC.

You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

If you haven't already purchased or created a recovery media disc kit for that laptop, you should purchase one HERE.

If its built-in factory reset partition becomes damaged or destroyed, or if its hard drive fails and needs to be replaced, you'll need the recovery media disc kit afterwards.

10. Oriole

Oriole Thread Starter

I've updated Explorer and the Windows Update Agent, restarted the computer after each one. I was prompted to check for updates and let the prompt start checking for updates. The two updates did not solve the problem. I guess I will have to do a clean install.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you start from step #4(installing IE11) and then go down the list in the correct sequence?

12. Oriole

Oriole Thread Starter

It worked!!! Thank you Flavallee.

Quick question. In your opinion is it better to accept and download all the updates (important and optional )or just chose the important ones. Would it make a difference if I chose to download the important items first, restart and then download the optional ones?

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    :D :p (y)
    I only download and install the important/recommended updates the first time.

You can right-click on and hide these important/recommended updates:
    KB2952664
    KB971033
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
    (this one will appear multiple times)

After the restart, there may or may not be more important/recommended updates to download and install.
    Most of the optional updates can be right-clicked on and hidden.
    It all depends on which ones appear and which ones you really need.

14. Oriole

Oriole Thread Starter

Thank you for all your help. its working well now.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice