1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to extend wifi into dead spot in art gallery

Discussion in 'Networking' started by melonbarmonster, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Thread Starter

We have the wifi set up in a closet but the wifi dies toward the opposite end of our space. I'm trying to see what my options are for extending the signal. A tech company wants to charge us $1000 to run an ethernet cable from the closet up into our ceiling and then to run it to the other side of our gallery space to another router. I just wondering if I have other options that are feasible. We don't have high internet needs. Maybe a laptop to run a youtube video is probably the most internet extensive task we'll have. I might have 15 devices at most at time connected to the internet.

Any advice would be appreciated. From googling around I've thought of getting a wifi range extender but not sure if it's sufficient fix. Thank you all.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

How long is the distance from the closet to the opposite end of your gallery ?

Are there any obstacles in the way? Like a concrete wall or steel structures ?

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Range extenders (repeaters) should only be used as a last resort.

If you don't want to run a cable to allow an AP to be used in the area needing coverage, then I would opt for a wireless mesh system such as Velop or Google WiFi to name a couple.

Without seeing your physical layout, it's hard to determine if the cost to run the drop is appropriate or not. But $1000 seems a bit much. And with this option, I would never use a wireless router as an independent AP or another independent AP to provide coverage. Spend the money and get a unified wireless system from Ubiquiti.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice