How to extent my '/' root partition

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mohittomar13

Mohit Tomar
I've been trying to increase the size of my root partition but not able to understand the actual process. So decided to ask the question here; included is a screen-shot from my system. I want to add unallocated 26 GB space to my existing /dev/sda5

Device /dev/sda6 is my home directory and /dev/sda7 is drive D on windows installation.

upload_2017-8-5_14-52-32.png

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance to all who can provide some insights about how to go about it.

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
Move partitions so that the unallocated space is immediately to the right of sda5. Then you can extend or resize sda5 to include the unallocated space. If that partition manager can't handle the tasks try GParted.

Terry's suggestion is sound and would be the traditional route.

The problem the Thread Starter got is both sda5 and sda6 Linux partitions are confined between two ntfs partitions of sda4 and sda7 while the available space is after the sda7 partition. This makes it necessary of moving and shifting of both sda6 and 7 until the unallocated space is between sda5 and sda6. That is a long process due to the size of sda7 with over 54GB data to be rewritten onto different positions of the hard disk.

A quicker way is to install the same Linux in the unallocated space and use it to mount /. Thereafter simply copy the personal data of the sda5, which should be the /home directory, to the new Linux. This solution does require previous additional programs, additional to the distro, to be repeated on the new installation. Hopefully there isn't a lot as the old / is only 10GB large. The other disadvantage is that the new Linux, likely to be sda8, is at the end of the disk with the inner-most tracks. This new Linux installation will run slightly slower than the old Linux in sda5 due to its position in the hard disk.

As a long term strategy, useful for users using multiple operating systems and could be practised by the Thread starter, is to have the personal data on a data-only partition. Thus the operating systems can have the smaller footprint possible and their demise and corruption of the system files can never affect the user's own data. Nowadays virtually all personal data, like photos, videos, texts, documents and spreadsheets, are exchangeable between the common operating systems.

Last edited:

mohittomar13

Mohit Tomar
Thanks for a detailed explaination, this would also help other users facing the same problem as I'm.

However I can delete the NTFS partition 100GB if it can make my task a little easy as this partition mostly contains pictures and videos that are already on my cloud storage. I didn't try GParted yet but I guess I will face the same problem that I'm facing with KDE partition manager. The problem is that I do not get the option to move the partition it only allows me to shrink it and add some free space either in the starting or at the end of the partition.

Let me try GParted and will post the results after that, would still be awaiting suggestion about deleting NTFS if that helps.

Thanks again. :) :)

A combination of changing the space before and after the partition is the only way to move it.

mohittomar13

Mohit Tomar
So finally I was able to do it right. I used GParted bootable ISO image.

So what I did is
-> Deleted drive D (in windows - after backup)
-> increased the size of my / root directory
-> Increased the size of /home directory
-> left the unallocated space as it is
-> applied changes
-> after the process was complete, I again formatted the remaining space to be used as drive D for windows.
-> Everything is now working fine - I have / root @ 40GB || /home @ 20GB || Drive D @ 80 GB

Thanks to all who took time to reply and help me. :)
Thank you TSG :) :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online