1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to extra up to 3.0ghz or less

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dunko9, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dunko9

Dunko9 Thread Starter

:) hi everyone,

:confused: How to make extra on 1.7ghz to 3.0ghz or less.

Mine windows xp, 1.7ghz.

Where i get it?

Please help me.

Becasue its too slow, i would like little more fast.

cheers
    Dunko9;)

2. mobo

mobo

For starteres you probably won't get that cpu to run over 2.0 ghz and it is called overclocking which is very dangerous and should be looked into a little bit farther than just jumping up the cpu speed.

How much ram and what type do you have ?

3. Dunko9

Dunko9 Thread Starter

ok, its Dell. i think its 128mb(RAM), window xp. P4.

ok?

cheers
    Dunko9:)

4. mobo

mobo

Hi Dunk..A pentium 4 processor is a good one to overclock because of its built in protection. The best advice to you here would be to get yourself some ram as windows xp barely runs decent on 128. If you were to add a stick of 256 0r even another 128 you will see a tremendous difference in your system. You have a processor that is considerably larger than most but you have considerably less ram than most xp users. The danger of stepping up your fsb or multiplier could result in an unbootable system, heat issues where you start installing case fans or even blowing the mobo. You can step up your fsb in the bios a little and safely get it up to close to 2.0 but your xp will not run any faster because of the shortage on ram.

5. Dunko9

Dunko9 Thread Starter

Ok thanks for help.

i understand.

cheers
    Dunko9:cool:

6. mobo

mobo

First get yourself some ram and afterwards try strepping it up a little at a time....

7. integer

integer

Question: how could I go about this I have a P4 with 512mb of ram.

8. mobo

mobo

What you have to do is enter the bios and look for the "voltages and frequencies" sector. Once there you will see both the fsb(front side bus)and the multiplier. Theses can be stepped up a little at a time. I would start with the fsb a little at a time then run the system and if no crashes or blue screens then step up a little more. You will see your limits when you get errors , blus screens, and crashes. You have to keep in mind the risk/reward isue so don't push too much or you'll be sorry.
    The other issue is heat. You will have to watch system temps so they don't get too high and burn up your processor..I use Speedfan .

For more info you can check overclockers.com where the specialty is juicing up your system.....Be careful and good luck..

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice