1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to extract and save an XP backup file?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hy_tek, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hy_tek

hy_tek Thread Starter

I had virus problems with my XP Pro and I did a clean install. I saved the entire docs and settings folder in a backup file with the windows backup utility on a seperate drive. When I went to restore the settings after the install it didn't take. The only account that works was the one I made during the clean install. I can see the old account folders in docs and settings on the C drive now but the one with all my stuff won't let me access it. If I could access it I would do a manual install of the docs and settings. There are a bunch or irreplaceable family pics on there so I need to get them off.

Is there a way to extract the Win XP backup file and save it outside of the operating system to a folder so I could just manually access the files? I think perhaps there may be a security issue here because when I renamed the machine after the clean install I am not sure I used the exact same name. I logged in as system admin and I still can't get to the files. I tried some third party software that says they can get you in but it is REALLY expensive. It may be my only option however at this point.

2. pinntech

pinntech

You said.....

" can see the old account folders in docs and settings on the C drive now but the one with all my stuff won't let me access it"

What is the error message you are getting when you attempt to access it?

If you are getting an ACCESS DENIED message, you need to try doing the following: (you must have administrator priveleges on your system)

START
    MY COMPUTER
    C: drive
    DOCUMENT AND SETTINGS
    right click on the "user folder" you cannot access.
    PROPERTIES
    SECURITY TAB
    ADVANCED button at the bottom
    OWNER tab at the top
    click once on your current user name
    click once on the "Replace on subdirectories and objects"
    APPLY
    OK

Now you should be able to access that user's folder and do anything you want to do with that folder.

Thanks!

Shane

3. hy_tek

hy_tek Thread Starter

Thanks that worked!!!!

4. pinntech

pinntech

Great!!! Please mark your thead as solved.... see my signature block if you need instructions!

Thanks!

5. hy_tek

hy_tek Thread Starter

Ok I have another issue now. I restored all the files that I needed from the backup. Now under C:/windows/documents and settings .....I have some old user accounts to be deleted after the restore that are no longer functional. I can delete most folders but there are some system files in these old accounts that I am not able to get rid of (ie....ntuser.dat) for instance.

How do I delete these old non functional accounts and all their data? Do I need to do it the same way by changing the user rights of the system files in these folders?......:confused:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715325