1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to extract data from a corrupt hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by feyparislove, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feyparislove

feyparislove Thread Starter

My hp laptop with OS XP crashed and i had no files backed up. I had a new hard drive installed and a new operating system, Vista. It is now working properly. I have my old corrupted hard drive in an enclosure and am trying to connect and extract my files from it. However, when i connect it to my laptop it instantly goes to the blue screen of death Stop error: 0x0000c1f5, and continues to restart the computer over and over again. When it goes to the blue screen it states " collecting data for crash dump... beginning dump of physical memory and dumping physical memory to disk. Then it continues to restart itself over and over again. I disconnect the external hard drive and my laptop starts up normal thankfully. Any advice on how to get the data to show or at least let me see what i have without it restarting itself and going to the BSOD? Thank you all in advance.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If the HDD can't be connected to the laptop without causing a crash, there isn't much that you can do. The drive would need to be connected AND properly recognized by the PC before you could attempt data recovery.

Test with a different PC, but the results likely won't be any different.

3. raybro

raybro

As Oddba11 has said, your drive/data is probably history, but I have one remote possibility for you to give a try. Its worked for me a few times.

Place the drive inside a plastic bag and leave it in the freezer overnight. Next day, get your computer booted and the external enclosure open and ready to install the drive. Install the drive and connect the USB cable. If the drive appears on My Computer or Windows Explorer, open it and save as much as you can as rapidly as possible (might be a good idea to make a list of what is most important).

If this works, you likely will have limited time before it warms up and fails.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice