How To Factory Reset Android Tablet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jampot

I have been given a Samsung tablet that requires a passcode to unlock the device.
The person who gave me the tablet does not remember the passcode.
Is there a way in which I can hard reset the device without the passcode? I have tried the usual power/volume option without succes.
At present I need the passcode to even turn off the device.

Thanks

texasbullet

Ramon
Without the password there is nothing you can do. Tell the previous owner to tell you which passcodes he used before. Other than that we won't be able to help you to bypass the password since it is against this sites policy.

jampot

I have asked and he is unable to recall the password so I guess I'm out of luck. I appreciate you can't provide back door methods to bypass security, but it seems tough to be permanently denied access to a device for simply forgetting the password.
I guess there must be a lot of Samsung tablets gathering dust on shelves.
Anyway thanks for the reply.

TerryNet

Terry
Did you try the "Press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons" while the tablet was off? If not, ...

I find it strange that you "need the passcode to even turn off the device," but you can get around that by waiting until the battery dies. Then plug it in for a little while and try the reset action again.

jampot

Hi,
Yes it's true...the Galaxy Tab A will not even afford you the courtesy of powering down without a passcode.
Long story short the problem has now been resolved, and without wanting to fall foul of any TSG back door policy breeches👮‍♂️, it was along the lines you have suggested, utilising the power buttons.

jampot

Hi,
Yes it's true...the Galaxy Tab A will not even afford you the courtesy of powering down without a passcode.
Long story short the problem has now been resolved, and without wanting to fall foul of any TSG back door policy breeches👮‍♂️, it was along the lines you have suggested, utilising the power buttons.
...together with volume rocker

TerryNet

Terry
Glad you got it reset. :) And thanks for the explanation.

As Ramon said we do not help with any password bypass, but the primary purpose is for data security. A reset to factory defaults essentially destroys all data so we try to help with that.

jampot

Glad you got it reset. :) And thanks for the explanation.

As Ramon said we do not help with any password bypass, but the primary purpose is for data security. A reset to factory defaults essentially destroys all data so we try to help with that.
Totally understand. I would never advocate circumventing any form of security, it is there as you say to protect data misuse. My point references the fact that Google locks down to the point whereby a legitimate purchaser of a factory reset Android device with a previous gmail account linked to it will still not have access to the device without that gmail address and password.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online