1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Find Author of Software Program.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by referee07, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I have an older program on my computer called "Med Journal" that has several years of my health records on it. The password and/or user ID that I have won't open the program. (I am not asking how to discover the password and/or user ID.) When I open the program, there is a message that states, "If you have lost your login/password, please contact the author for help." However, there is no name of the author given nor how to contact him/her. Does anyone know of a website that would help me discover the author of this program? Thanks in advance for any and all possible solutions to this problem.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you checked the properties of the exe file?

3. renegade600

renegade600

try going to the folder it is installed in and see if there are any type of text files. one of them may contain the name or company.

4. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

DaveA and renagade600, thanks for the replies. I am not too computer savvy, but I checked and I didn't find an exact folder for the program. It is located in "Users/Documents/Documents/Health32" in the Documents, but there are no text files there, only the icon which when I click on it, it opens the program. (I did notice that the last time I accessed the program was in 2011.) Also, I am not sure how to check the properties of the exe file. The program is very small, only 1.21 KB.

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi referee07

Are you using Windows XP? If so, have you looked in Add or Remove Programs? Some of my programs show support information when a program is highlighted.

When accessing the icon that allows you to start the program, can you see the .exe file extension?

It may be helpful to post a picture of the program.

6. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

EAFieldler, hello again and thanks for the reply. I am using Windows 7, Home Edition and when I went to Add or Remove Programs, this program was not listed. When I right-click on the program's icon and open Properties, an .exe file is shown there. I uploaded a picture of the program's icon.

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

I don't see an attachment. I was thinking more of a screenshot of what you see when it asks for your username and password. Does any part of the program appear at that stage or is it just a login box?

8. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

EAFiedler, thanks for the reply. The dialog box that opens up when I click on the icon is very basic. There is a place for the Login Name and the Password and a box that has a checkmark and an "OK" that is clicked after entering the Login Name and Password. At the top is the statement, "entries are case sensitive" and at the bottom is the statement, "If you have lost your login/password, contact the author for help." That's it. I have had this program for many years (The last time it was accessed was in March of 2011.). I have Googled "Med Journal software" and " Health32" in order to try to find the program but I found nothing regarding the program. Thanks again for your help.

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Did you check for a possible Readme.txt file?
    Other than right clicking the .exe file itself and looking over the properties of the file, I don't know what else to suggest.

I tried a search using these terms: old apps Med Journal Health32 I got a lot of hits for mobile apps.

Perhaps scrolling through those mobile apps will jog your memory. Otherwise, I don't have anything else to offer. :(

10. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

EAFiedler, thanks again for the reply. I tried searching using "old apps Med Journal Health32" and saw a lot of entries but I wasn't able to find anything about my program. I checked and couldn't find a .Readme.txt file. I am not going to give up, though. There must be a way to get into this program. I have a lot of my medical history in the program and don't want to lose it and I also want to add more items. Thanks again to you, DaveA and renagade600 for the help and the suggestions. If I am able eventually to get into the program, I'll definitely post it here and mark this thread Solved!

11. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

If you were able to retrieve your medical information would you look for another journal program?

Can you see the files that contain your medical data? Are they .txt files, .log files, .xml files or do they have a proprietary file extension for that program?

12. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

EAFieldler, thanks again for your reply. I have looked for other personal medical record programs but the only ones that I found were web-based and I don't want my personal medical information on the web. I have to believe that there is a way to retrieve my login and password for this program. Also regarding your second question, I don't see any .txt., log., or .xml files. There is only the icon on the desktop and the same icon in my Documents. This is a very old program and from what I can tell a very basic program. When I so a search for "Med Journal," the search only shows the shortcut to the program.

13. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

But you did locate the actual .exe file? It almost sounds like a stand alone program. It's possible it is keeping your information in the same directory as the .exe file.

Right clicking on the Shortcut and selecting Properties should show you a Start in: directory where the program's .exe is stored.

Another thought: Is this program only for one user? Can different users use the same program and store their medical information in it, as well, without mixing it in with another users information?
    Does it have the capability of starting a new user without wiping out a previous user?

14. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

EAFieldler, thanks again for the reply. I didn't actually locate the .exe file. When I right-click on the icon, choose "Properties" under "Shortcut" I can see "Users/Documents/Documents/health32.exe." Also, Properties/Start In shows: C:\ Documents\Documents\health32.exe. The program may have the capacity for more than only one user, but I think that I am the only user unless I added my son's information. Also, I can't get into the program in order to see if I can start another user. This is a real puzzle, correct?

15. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

It certainly isn't making it easy. :)

Look in those directories you posted:
    C:\ Documents\Documents\
    C:\Users\Documents\Documents\

and look for any .txt, .log, or .xml files.
    Also, right click on the health32.exe to see its Properties. The Digital Signatures tab may have more about the author.

I don't have those directories on my Windows 7. The program may have created those directories to store your data.
    You did copy those directories exactly?

I am curious, did you purchase this software or was it freeware?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice