1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How To Find Compatible Replacement SSD Drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michaeltee, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. michaeltee

michaeltee Thread Starter

I'd like to purchase a replacement internal SSD drive that's fully compatible with the currently installed drive. I plan to create periodic clones of the existing drive (which includes my OS, W10 x64) as a plug and play replacement in the event of drive failure. It seems like there are several types available and I'm not sure which specs are relevant. I've posted the details of my current drive below. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

SAMSUNG MZ7LN128HCHP-000H1 (SSD)
    Manufacturer: SAMSUNG
    Heads: 16
    Cylinders: 15,566
    Tracks: 3,969,330
    Sectors: 250,067,790
    SATA type: SATA-III 6.0Gb/s
    Device type: Fixed
    ATA Standard ACS2
    LBA Size: 48-bit LBA
    Speed Not used (SSD Drive)
    Features: S.M.A.R.T., NCQ, TRIM, SSD
    Max. Transfer Mode: SATA III 6.0Gb/s
    Used Transfer Mode: SATA III 6.0Gb/s
    Interface: SATA
    Capacity: 119 GB
    Real size: 128,035,676,160 bytes
    RAID Type: None

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

It's a standard-sized 2.5" SATA III SSD (Solid State Drive).

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A MUCH better idea would be to make an image backup of your current drive. If and when your drive fails, it takes all of a few min to install a new drive and restore the image. Done.You can store multiple images however you can only have one cloned drive. This way you can save a clean install image and make an image every week or so; deleting the older image.

Note if you purchase a WD drive, you can download the WD version of acronis true image. I use and recommend acronis true image for cloning, image backup, etc. IMO it is the best software for this task.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  5. michaeltee

michaeltee Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the advice! I did find and purchase an SSD for backup and created a verified copy of my system drive using Casper 10. I have a multi-drive system with the OS and a few programs on C (SSD) and the majority of my software installations on the mechanical D drive. After completing the C backup, I immediately made a copy of D on a similar mechanical drive. I'm hoping to avoid sync problems having cloned both drives within an hour of each other. It's been years since I last used acronis (2005 I think!) but lately I've been giving a lot of thought to going the image route. I'm anxious to give it a try. From what I've read I imagine the standard $49 version would more than meet my needs.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I would sill be using an old version ... but I found a sale on Acronis 2017 that I couldn't refuse.
    I install Acronis .. Make a couple of rescue discs ... Remove Acronis ....
    and operate from the rescue discs.

I never Image a working system, You just never know what trash it might have collected ...
    but go back to my last "fresh" Acronis Image.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  7. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I use Macrium from a bootable Usb stick, not from within Windows, works well and it's free.

SpywareDr likes this.
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice