1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to find compressed files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by romeoluzzi, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. romeoluzzi

romeoluzzi Thread Starter

I am having a problem in Windows XP with Symantec Ghost - bulks at restoring compressed files. So I would like to change all to uncompressed, but have not found a way to find them easily. Does anyone know of or have software that will search a given hard drive and list all compressed files?

Thanks for any assistance.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

All compressed files should be blue...........not Zipped files.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I looked into this a while ago, and there is no free utility to find compressed files. I ran across some non-free ones, but it wasn't worth it to me at the time.

FWIW, Ghost should not be failing on compressed files. Windows automatically compresses certain system files, and you shouldn't override that by manually uncompressing them. I've used Ghost many times successfully with compressed system files.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Handy tools there Elvandil .....do they work well???

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not sure if these are the same that I used during a long past "anti-compression" campaign. Though not for the exact same reasons, I found some problems with imaging utilities that people are working on and not yet completed. And I thought uncompressing might speed up the system a bit.

The decompressor seems to work well on Vista, though it can't access all files.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Compact.exe only searches the current directory. That means you have to at least know what folder the compressed files are in. It doesn't return anything from the root of the drive.

I can't get the second link to come up.

8. bonk

bonk Banned

Hmmmm........nevertheless a tool to keep somewhere.

Having a bit of trouble with the second link also.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

I can't get that link now, either. Try later. maybe some problem on their end.

10. bonk

bonk Banned

Actually it does work just at the moment is takes awhile ....probably busy server

11. romeoluzzi

romeoluzzi Thread Starter

Thank you all for the suggestions - it does appear to be a ghost or windows settings problem as there are about a billion compressed files on the drive (found a free utility to list them in dos) - will add another reply if I ever figure out the problem. Thanks again.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just a note about my utility linked above:
    Find NTFS compressed files

Run it from a command line and specify the directory you want to check. You can also output to a text file:

findcompressed.exe C:\ >List.txt

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/566038