1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to find HDTV's with QAM/Clear-QAM tuners imbedded? Time-Warner

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by zapp22, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

This issue is driving me over the cliff. One would think it easy.
    Time Warner, on their website, is generous enough to explain what one needs to go get a tuner device to take the place of their own supplied set-top boxes. If you're a subscriber, the STB is free for the first one, and a monthly-forever charge for more than one.

So I have pretty well given up on finding a retail/normal/quality set-top tuner box that can simply tune-in any/all of what TW sends to my house. I just can't find any clear info on such a device. So I have moved on to the next-best idea: Find an HDTV with built-in tuner that will properly tune Time-Warner's feed. Easy, right??
    If I'm reading TW's info correctly, local over-air channels that TW has in their mix will decode with NTSC type tuners, and the other cable-only channels with "QAM" or also known as "Clear-QAM" type devices. I don't know that either of these specs contemplates BOTH conventional resolution and High-Def.... If any of you have Time-Warner you know that you have the "normal" channels mostly in the 1-100 range, and the High-Def versions of the same above that.

So What HDTV do I need to buy that will decode all of Time-Warner's feed, without their supplied STB???

NOTE THIS - I am not addressing any premium services here, just basic DIGITAL cable service with its included HD channels which are basically the local channels, plus a few sports channels like ESPN HD and FOX Sports HD, and FOX News HD, and a smattering of other stuff. no movie channels, ppv, etc.

??

thanks for your help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975134