1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to find out ISP configuration parameters

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gjs010, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gjs010

gjs010 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Im trying to set up my new wireless netgear modem router, and before i start it says i need the following info to hand:
    Virtual Path Identifier (VPI)/Virtual Channel Indentifier (VCI) parameters
    Multiplexing Method
    Host and Domain Names
    ISP Login Name and Password (i know this!)
    ISP Domain Name Server (DNS) Addresses (by doing an IPconfig/all i can get this)
    Fixed or Static IP Address (by doing an IPconfig/all i can get this also)

my isp is orange. their website gives me no clue, is there any other way i can get this info?
    cheers for any help

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I applaud you for reading first! So many people obviously don't.

Nonetheless, I think that material is being overly pessimistic. The info you already know--ISP login and password and whether dynamic or static IP is almost all you need. The only other thing, I think, is whether you need PPPoE or something like that. Your current ipconfig /all or ISP's tech support should tell you that.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

how do you connect to the modem/router, computer, phone line/dsl or coax cable/cable/rj-45 cable or usb?

4. gjs010

gjs010 Thread Starter

hi guys,
    ive got it up and running, the wizard didnt actually ask me for any of these settings except my ISP username and password.
    only glitch i had was that my PC didnt detect the router until i disabled windows firewall, i guess the router will act as a fiewall now anyway so i can happily leave the windows one off.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

it'll protect coming in but not going out.

i don't use the firewall but run behind a linksys 54 g wireless router.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/682417