1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to find out the distance between US Zip Codes

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by fazthegreat, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fazthegreat

fazthegreat Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to make a web site where members can search for the other members based on the their zip code.e.g members withing 5 miles, members withing 10 miles.I've never done anything like this before but this is a very common thing you see on web sites these days.Can anyone guide me in the right direction ..how can I do this? I don't know much about US zip codes, Are all the zip codes made with the same radius? if yes, then what is that?

Thanks very much.

2. ace_coffee

ace_coffee

my suggestion is to go back to these web pages you have seen this in and look at the source code to see if you can piece together what they have done.

3. fazthegreat

fazthegreat Thread Starter

Well if I view the source all I am going to see is HTML and Javascript.I won't be able to see any server side code.So far what I have found is that I need to buy a zip code database and then do my programming around it.

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

There are free databases for this, what language are you using?

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Found this web site for some free software with a quick Google search.

Main Features of Zipdy:

* Calculate the distance between two zip codes

http://www.cryptnet.net/fsp/zipdy/

DISCLAIMER: I just found the site. I have never used the software. You need to decide if it is right for you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice