1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to find out which COM port something is plugged into?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jack-o-bytes, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

Hey everyone, We have some laptops at college that are forever being a pain in the butt. Basically they have 3 USB ports on them. We have to connect a PLC program machine to them using a USB - Serial - Paralelle converter. (I think that is how it goes) anyways basically the laptops never seem to recognise which COM port they are plugged into which means you spend ages each lesson going manually through each of the COM ports until you find the one that it is plugged into.

Is there any way to find out which COM port the PLC device would be using so that we dont have to randomly select them for ages?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance, Jack

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It should tell you in Device Manager under Ports.

3. jack-o-bytes

How would i get into that?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Start > (Run if in XP) type DEVMGMT.MSC press Enter then in the new window click on '+' next to 'Ports'

5. jack-o-bytes

Okay cool and that shows which COM ports currently have stuff plugged into them?

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm on XP right now and it shows what device is connected to each COM port number, you can right-click > Properties to get some more info. I think it's the same for other versions of Windows.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice