1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How To fix a water damaged dvd?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jeanea34, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeanea34

Jeanea34 Thread Starter

I have been asked recently by a relative how can you fix a disc if has been water damaged. I have searched for days on the web. I havent found anything.... Does anyone know if this is even possible?

2. AdrianClarke

AdrianClarke

water damage?

I always get water on my disks, they seem to work fine, unless your talking about coke and stuff, then i dont think their is a possible way.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

if you have coke on it... then use water to clean it :D

Are you talking about a cd being immersed in some kind of liquid?

4. sn1p34

sn1p34

Water shouden't damage cds.... since cd's are plastic and have a protectected layer over the actual writed content... are you sure they were damaged by water, and not scratched or something like that?

5. Jeanea34

Jeanea34 Thread Starter

It was damaged in katrina...... and they just started going through things and came across there dvds and games damaged. And before throwing everyone away they were curious to find out. So these have been in water for months and she said on some is water stains.

Thanks ;)

6. xgerryx

xgerryx

How you clean them could depend on what sort of contamination is causing the stains. After months under water in a flood zone I imagine they could have come into contact with any number of chemicals that could have damaged the surface enough write them off.

I think I would for a start try washing one of them with mild lukewarm water with a very mild dishwashing liquid. Just be aware the contamination you are washing off could also be a fine abrasive.

7. thegreatjmat

thegreatjmat

the easiest way i find, is to buy new dvds

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

agreed on gerry's comment. If it's rain water... it shouldn't be unusable... but since we are talking about Katrina... it could be possible that it has other damage to it. I guess just try them out and see if it works.

9. BannerGuy

BannerGuy

After you have cleaned it with a mild soapy solution... be sure to remove any affixed paper lables that may have got warped in the flooding (this would cause unneeded vibration issues with your CD drive as it spools up) making your CD/DVD hard to read

Suprised that no one mentioned Disk Dr (or maybe I missed it). I agree that the toxic soup that was caused by katrina may be the absolute wrong thing to have happen to your disks... you can polish off a layer of the CD/DVD material with a disk doctor and see if it works... Also some Game stores (buyback Games, Game Force...etc) have disk cleaning machines in thier stores for refurbish used games... take one by them and see if thier machine makes a difference.. if so look into buying a disk doctor.

Else

you may have to look at insurance to replace them =(

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/446561