1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to fix my fsb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maxhorsepowe, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxhorsepowe

maxhorsepowe Thread Starter

Ok i have ASUS A7N8X-X nVidia nForce-2 400 FSB 8X AGP w/ USB 2.0 motherboard and a AMD Athlon™ XP 2500+ Processor [Barton 512K L2 CACHE]. 1024mb 333mhz DDR RAM ,128 mb NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 vidio card, 80 gig maxtor 7200 RPMand Windows XP. Hears my problem i used belarc advisor to confirm that right now the front side bus of my computer is at 166 megahurtz. I think it be higher!
    It takes about 2 mins to restart windows. It should take less then 30 secs. It also says when i start up memory is at 133 single channel.(What does that mean)

If u have any suggestions on how to fix plz post a reply

Thanks.
    Matt

2. suesman

suesman

Well what do you think it should be? 166 x 2 = 333, which is what the CPU clock speed is.

AMD chips pump 2X, whereas Intel chips pump 4X.

3. maxhorsepowe

I Think it should be 333.
    Im new to this so bear with me.

Matt

4. suesman

suesman

No prob man. 166 is correct. ;) The AMD CPU's pump cycles by 2, so 166 x 2 = 333. :D

In reference:
    The new 800mhz FSB Intel chips pump cycles by 4, so the actual FSB is only 200. Make sence?

My 2400+ is rated at 266mhz FSB, but only reports to be 133. 133 x 2 = 266mhz.

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

Use Aida32 from www.aida32.hu - personal or enterpise edition - free...

Its more accurate about the information, and quite powerful too.

Nothing wrong with your set up...

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

Your CPU is running at the correct speed.

Single channel memory mode means you have installed a single stick of 1GB of RAM on your board, this is explained in the ASUS manual. You would get more performance if you had TWO sticks of 512mb of RAM. note: A friend has ordered this type of RAM (512mb) for his ASIS A7n9x board, but bought only 1 stick... oh well. I told him to keep it until he can spring for another 512mb.

Windows? XP or 98?

You may have quite a bit of junkware & spyware installed on your computer... how big is your system tray on the bottom right? the longer that thing is, the slower your machine gets (in general) 4~5 items is enough for most functions... but some people have 10~15 items in there!! A lot not even needed.

Get: "Spybot Search & destroy" - look it up with www.google.com or www.downloads.com

Have you installed the motherboard drivers that came with the board?

Reboot time for my Win98 PC with simular hardware is about 30seconds... Same with another PC I have here with WIndowsXP on an AMD2000.

7. Ian291

Ian291

The -x version of the board doesn't have dual channel memory support.

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

Ah... so that's the "low" end version... which is, for the most part no slower than the normal Nforce2 ;)

9. suesman

suesman

Yea it's the "Deluxe" version that has Dual Channel. I've been seriously thinking of getting one myself. I like this XFX board I have at the moment & I also like the Gigabyte board, but I am not at all impressed with thier ( Gigabyte ) level of service. It's been like pullin' teeth tryin' to get warrenty service done. :mad:

10. maxhorsepowe

Sorry its been awhile since iv been online.
    i resloved my harddrive issue. My hard drive crashed and i replaced it with another. my question is when i start up my pc i still get a msg that says single memory mode. But shouldn't it say dual memory mode because i have 2 sticks of 512 ddr 333mhz memory?

Matt

11. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

Just one question regarding your dual channel issue - which slots have you got the ram sticks in ? As I understand it they cannot be next to each other, mine are in the first and third slots respectively. If you use 1 & 2 then you won't get dual channel.

12. maxhorsepowe

i have 3 slots 2 are close together the 3 is spaced abit.
    my memory is in slots 1 and 2 3 is empty

Matt

13. RSM123

RSM123

14. compilerxp

compilerxp

Youre board, the ASUS -X model is a NON Dual channel board, as posted by Ian291. The Deluxe models have 2 color Memory sockets in which if you're using 2 sticks, They should be in 1 & 3 or 2 & 3 (Not 1 & 2).

The "single channel mode" is not an error message, its just telling you what mode its in. I guess ASUS didn't change the BIOS much for the board as there isn't much point in letting you know "its a single channel" board.

Don't fret it... the Single Channel Nforce2 boards are about as fast as a dual channel model... sometimes faster - sometimes slower. Still faster than ANY KT400 / KT600 chipset.

15. maxhorsepowe

Thanks for your info and answers.

Matt

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice