1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to fix? run time error 217 at 013BF452

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by reverbfreak, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reverbfreak

reverbfreak Thread Starter

When I close some apps (typically a text editor, a PDF print driver, and sometimes Windows Explorer (not IE or Firefox), on 2 PCs I use I get this nagging error msg:

application error - the exception unknown software exception 0x0eedfade
    location 0x7c81eb33

run time error 217 at 013BF452

The applications "work" but everytime I go to close or use the error window appears. Sometimes it does not, but most times it does. Opening/closing/using the same application recreates the error window in most instances.

I've searched the net for a solution but nothing has worked. I've reinstalled runtime modules, re-registered DLLs, tried all the tricks I could find and still have the problem. I'm running XP SP2. I was able to reinstall MDAC 2.81 on 1 XP desktop I have but it didn't cure the problem either. Is there a utility or fix you know of or a way I can identify what DLL or Windows file is causing the error, and fix it? Help please!!!

2. Win-Minion

Win-Minion

Hey reverbfreak

I've experienced the same type of Windows Explorer "0x0eedfade" "run time error" as you and have been able to fix it.

My problem occurred under 2 circumstances on two different Windows XP machines.

The 1st incident happened after I deleted some of the program folders that XDesk (a virtual desktop program) uses. To fix this I used an install of XDesk from another machine and manually copied the missing folders back into the XDesk directory.

The 2nd incident happened when I deleted an application folder under my Current User's Start Menu. Afterwards I constantly got the "0x0eedfade" error.
    When I restored the deleted folder this problem disappeared. Afterwards, I uninstalled the program that caused this, to avoid any unwanted complications from cropping up in the future.

Given these two examples I think the error occurs when you move/delete a file or folder that a currently installed and/or running application uses. My suggestion would be to uninstall any applications you installed just before the error occurred.

I should also note that I only got this error when I deleted or moved a file/folder for two relatively obscure applications, and have not experienced this problem with other more popular programs like Firefox, Winamp, IrfanView, EditPad Lite, etc.

If this doesn't help, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Goodluck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice