1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to fix "server does not support FTP over TLS"?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Alex Ethridge, Aug 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I recently switched from WSFTP Pro which I've used for so many years I can't remember, to FileZilla and I'm getting the message above.

I can't figure out how to fix it.

Host: ftp.xxxxxxxxxxxx.com
    Port: 21

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    How do you connect? Using "QuickConnect" or using the "Site Manager"?

Try to use the site manager. Create a new site, then set the Encryption to "Use Only Plain FTP"

That should allow you to connect.
    But even better, tell the FTP server owner to enable FTP over TLS. That is much more secure.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

That yields identical error as before.

I think this has something to do with ports, which I know near nothing about. For some reason, I never ran into this with WSFTP

Attached Files:

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    And you saved that site in Site Manager with that "Plain FTP"? That should not use the TLS.
    Also make sure the protocol is FTP. Not any of the other options.

You can also try, under "Transfer" in the site manager, to change the connection from Default to active to passive. All though I don't think that'll make a difference.

Do you know which FTP server is on the other end? Is it IIS or something else?

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Found this : https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FTP_over_TLS

And this :

"Normal FTP uses port 21(TCP/UDP) for control and port 20(TCP/UDP) for data. FTP over TLS (FTPS) uses port 990(TCP/UDP) for control and port 989(TCP/UDP) for data. You will need to open both as FTPS prevents the router from detecting which port was negotiated for the data transfer."

6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    @lunarlander . With all due respect. I think you got this a bit mixed up. The OP is, as far as I can tell, trying to use the Filezilla client to connect to a FTP server that he/she previously connected to with no problem. The OP does obviously not need to open any ports as it worked previously. The issue is with the latest Filezilla client. And ultimately with the way the FTP server is configured.

That being said; The OP needs to connect using the "simple" FTP option. Without using any encryption/security. It's a known issue with the latest Filezilla servers/clients. The client will default to a secure connection which most basic FTP servers aren't set up for. Ideally the server people should enable FTP over TLS. But that's a whole other issue.

As previously stated. The OP needs to use the Site manager to manually configure how to connect. Not use the "Quickconnect" option.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice