1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Fix Steam

Discussion in 'Games' started by MC-117, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MC-117

MC-117 Thread Starter

Do you experience constant failure of the Steam.exe program? Need to reboot your computer just to play Team Fortress 2 or CounterStrike. I myself have experienced these kind of problems before. To start of, please uninstall 3rd party programs such as:
    Ghostsurf 2007
    Spycatcher Express ( Comes bundled with GhostSurf )
    AOLacsd.exe (AOL connection driver)

Such programs are known to interfere with Steam thus causing it not to run properly.
    If you have none of these programs, follow these steps.
    1) CRTL - ALT - DELETE to open up Task Manager
    2) If you do not see the Steam program in the first tab, you're in the right track
    3)Open up Processes
    4)Look for steam.exe and stop the process
    5)Try to run Steam again
    It should work for most people, the logic is that Steam is running in the background and you are trying to reboot it again
    The most is that you have to uninstall steam and try again.

2. Jason08

Jason08

Thanks for posting.:)

3. Tanis

Tanis Shane

Or just go for the ....

Start > All Programs > Steam > Uninstall Steam

option

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Or, just delete everything except the steam.exe file and the SteamApps folder (or its contents). Rerun steam.exe.

Courtney

5. MC-117

MC-117 Thread Starter

The objective here is to try to make steam work without uninstalling it. You have to end the process several times in order for it to work. If anyone as a permanent solution, it will be greatly appreciated. For now, i guess everyone has to follow my method then...

6. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

All of the games you downloaded from Steam are in the SteamApps folder. The only things you need to reinstall the Steam program without reinstalling the games (such as moving the program to another folder or another computer) are the SteamApps folder and the steam.exe program itself.

If you did what I mentioned, when you run Steam.exe, it will simply download the steam program items, not the games. (The games will still be in the SteamApps folder.) On a high-speed connection, resetting the Steam program in this way takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish.

Again, you are not reinstalling your games, just the Steam application.

Courtney

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/830366