1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to force flash BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheDylPickle, Jun 13, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. TheDylPickle

TheDylPickle Thread Starter

asus k46cb
    i want to force flash the bios for that laptop because it contains a bios from an asus k46cm, which prevents me from flashing the k46cb bios (easyflash says that the model number isn't correct or some bs), and i feel as if it's the reason why my battery and dedicated gpu doesn't work at all (boots fine though).

i want to flash the bios, regardless of the blocks. How do I do that by myself, w/o bringing to a repair center or replacing the bios chip?

2. Sponsor

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    How come it has the 'wrong' Bios on it now ?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ASUS K46CB Laptop (BIOS updates)

k46cb.JPG

ASUS K46CM Laptop (BIOS updates)

k46cm-1.JPG k46cm-2.JPG

(click each image to enlarge and view)

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. TheDylPickle

I acquired it when it already had that BIOS.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Fair enough.

I don't think it's possible to force the Bios update with Easy Flash, it probably compares the old and new Bios files to check if they are compatible and I doubt you can bypass that.

There may be another way though, I'll see what I can find.

TheDylPickle likes this.
  7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Possible fix here :- https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10273-G51JX-need-BIOS-recovery-instructions

I would read the whole thread, the main info is in post #6 though.

Looks like the name of the Bios file has to agree with the present Bios so download the file you want but rename it to agree with the present one.

I have no idea if this will work for your particular laptop and do be aware that flashing the wrong bios can completely brick your computer !

8. TheDylPickle

The name wouldn't happen to affect anything within the actual BIOS file would it?

9. TheDylPickle

Well, I can't really get it to work. I can't find the BIN version of the BIOS file, so this method isn't really working for me.

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Like I said I don't know if this will work for your laptop. You should rename the Bios file you want to match the one shown in Easy Flash for the present Bios. Try changing the extension to .BIN if that doesn't work. You can put several files on the Usb stick with different names and extensions.

11. TheDylPickle

It ignores the name and checks its contents. I do not know how to edit that file unfortunately.
    I recall that the BIOS provided by the site is not a full BIOS, but rather an update to some parts of the BIOS, so I would much rather acquire the file that's been already filenamed BIN to make sure.
    I am currently trying to find that right now.

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    There may not be a BIN file for that laptop but good luck with the search.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice