1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to format a hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toeknee1984, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toeknee1984

toeknee1984 Thread Starter

can you please tell me if it is possible to wipe a hard drive on a hp compaq dx2000mt without having any discs? i have heard some p.c's have a key to press when starting up to allow you to do it from the hdd i have 2 of these p.c's and am wanting to make 1 big computer with 2 x hdd's which have been reformatted any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

What are you going to do after you wipe the drive?

3. toeknee1984

I just want to wipe both drives of all rubbish and previousily installed items then start from scratch i want the same operating sys on or just to format drive and leave os on if possible

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

How will you do that with no discs?

To answer your question, you can format the drives eary in the installation process

5. toeknee1984

Hence the question i am trying to find out if it is possible to format without discs or if you have to have these as i know with my laptop i dint have a disc and everything reinstaloled by itself when presssing f10 or somthing like that

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can format a variety of ways . . but the easiest way is to do it while reinstalling the operating system.

If you have a recovery facility ( many OEM notebooks do ) you will see a prompt to press XXX key to recover to factory settings . . that will restore the pc to the state it was shipped . . If you format the disc, you loose the restoration feature

7. toeknee1984

Many thanks rich will giv that a try

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Let us know how it goes! !

9. toeknee1984

Have just had a look at the pc and i cant find anything other than the boot menu f9 or the setup f10 is there anyother way to start the formatting process with out discs

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Nope . . Did it ever have the recovery feature?

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

12. toeknee1984

not sure if it ever had the recovery on it i have been on to hp and they say they cant supply discs now as xp has reached the end of life cycle

13. Old Rich

Old Rich

Bummer . . any chance you can borrow an installation disc that matches your sticker?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice