1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to format Externa HD for PS3 and Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by green_fairy, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. green_fairy

green_fairy Thread Starter

It is formatted to ms-dos(fat) i can plug it in to a pc and a mac and add and play files.

Its only the ps3 that isnt recognizing it.

Is the usb 3.0 the reason? My old drive was usb 2.0 and was perfectly compatible.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

As mentioned, it cannot be FAT. FAT allows only a maximum of a 2 GB drive, hardly what you need. If any FAT at all, it has to be FAT32 or exFAT.

Yes, a USB 3.0 device may not work correctly on a USB 2.0 interface.

3. green_fairy

Good Afternoon,

MS-DOS is FAT-32

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

MS-DOS is an old operating system. It has nothing to do with hard drives.

But in any case, though USB 3.0 devices should work on USB 2.0 interfaces since they should be backward-compatible, the other way is, of course, not possible since that would require knowledge of the future. It would seem that your device should work, but if it were possible for you to try a USB 2.0 device, that would help in trying to sort this all out.

5. green_fairy

I tried formatting in fat32 using a pc through the cmd line... took hours and finally it finished and said it was too large to format in fat32.

how do i format my 500g wd hard drive?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1022346