1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to format harddrive to install windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by enthax, Sep 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enthax

enthax Thread Starter

I was dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu. An automatic update wiped my boot and
    Ubuntu drives and made my computer unusable; the only way to get past the grub rescue screen was to boot Ubuntu from a USD drive.

I made installation media with another USB drive. When I booted that up to install Windows 10 I got the following error:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. ON EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

So I booted Ubuntu from USB, used Gparted to changed the disk to GPT and completely wiped my SSD. I went back to install Windows from the bootable USB and got the following error:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1195714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice