1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to forward port 21

Discussion in 'Networking' started by karlhaywood, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karlhaywood

karlhaywood Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just purchased a nas drive. I want to be able to access my files from anywhere. I believe if i setup FTP i can view the files over the web. from what i have been told i need to forward port 21 to the ip address of the nas drive.

Can ayone help me with this?

Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What kind of help? PortForward has lots of information, including info specific to many routers.

3. karlhaywood

I know i have to login to the router and select port forwarding then select FTP from the drop down menu then it asks me for an ip address. Would that be the ip address of the nas drive?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sure would. :)

5. karlhaywood

TerryNet sorry to be a pain, but how would i find it?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Find it? I'm sure your NAS documentation will tell you. But, really, if you are going to do any port forwarding you want to save yourself a lot of trouble by reserving an IP (if your router has that feature) or by assigning a static IP to the unit. I know that Port Forward info talks about "computer," but it also applies to a NAS or any other device except for the exact detail of how to set a static IP.

7. karlhaywood

How do i assign a static ip to the nas drive?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice