1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to free up disk space

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by padams3_98, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padams3_98

padams3_98 Thread Starter

Hello and help
    I am attempting to install some new software and am getting the notice that I do not have enough disk space required for the installation. My C drive shows 31G available 597 MB required for this software 1340 MB.
    Can someone tell me how to free up disk space? Do I need to delete word documents? Thanks in advance.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Run Disk Cleanup (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. Check the boxes for items you want to cleanup. Also click the More Otions tab and remove old System Restore points and applications you don't use.

If you use Internet Explorer open Tools > Internet Options, and on the General tab clear History and Delete Cookies (caution: this will delete website logon passwords too, so make sure you know them).

If you have installed several Microsoft updates and don't plan to uninstall them, you can safely delete all C:\Windows\$NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$ folders.

Delete all files and folders within C:\Temp, C:\Windows\Temp, C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Temp (some may refuse to delete).

Disable Hibernation and delete C:\hiberfil.sys.

3. ferrija1

ferrija1

You can remove unused files, programs, and run CCleaner.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/548845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice