1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to fry your processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imi1232002, Sep 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imi1232002

imi1232002 Thread Starter

I want to know how do you burn a processor??? I mean it literally, i want to fry my processor.

2. pvc9

pvc9

Why do you want to do that? Do you want to do that with it connected to the computer or FRY it seperately?

edit : What processor is it? Make and model.

3. cavp

cavp

:D That's EXTREMELY easy: unplug the CPU fan, and play something like DukeNukem or Quake, in five minutes u'll get a pretty fried processor...:D

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

If it's a decent processor I'll out bid pvc9 by $1.00. If not, a little butter, medium high heat, 3 to 5 minutes, turn for 1 minute, turn back for 30 seconds. Over easy silicon. :cool:

Serve with bacon, hash browns and condiments.

5. brianF

brianF

be warned, not only the processor may go,, but the motherboard and other components as well.

6. pvc9

pvc9

cavp,
    See I posted Do you want to do that with it connected to the computer or FRY it seperately?

And you wanted to fry with the processor connected to the motherboard and what brianF has said is 100% true. And if its an AMD processor there are a few chances that not only the motherboard but the entire CABINET could be FRIED!!!:D

Griff,
    I wouldnt mind if you outbid me...;) for a processor that needs to be FRIED:D

THE BEST WAY WOULD BE TO TAKE OUT THE PROCESSOR AND BAKE it at 200-300 F IN AN OVEN!!! :p

7. imi1232002

Guys i need to seriously fry the processor. I have been using this procesor for like 3 years and i need something faster. My warranty company will replace the processor is anything goes wrong with it. So i need a way to fry it. It's a pentium 3 at 500mhz

8. slipe

slipe

If it is 3 years old you can just remove the heatsink and run the computer. That doesn’t work for a P4 because it has internal protection, but your processor pre-dates that protection.

Tom’s Hardware made a video of an Athlon running without the heatsink and it burned up in a very short time. People assumed that it would also burn up if the fan failed, but a couple of sites were able to run Athlons for extended periods without the CPU fan running and it just became unstable, working fine when it cooled. They had case cooling though.

I run my computer 24/7 and the CPU fan failed during the night on my old P2. When I started using it the computer was slow and unstable, but the processor didn’t burn up.

Pull the heat sink.

9. imi1232002

Will i lose all of my data if i fry the processor, or will everything still be on the hard drive the next time i reinstall the os.

10. starchild

starchild

To get a new one?

Otherwise you could just tell them it's fried.

And I thought I had problems (LOL)

11. slipe

slipe

You don’t have to reinstall the OS in most cases. You might have to flash your BIOS and/or manually set it for your new processor. I upgraded my processor and just had to flash the BIOS and trade out the processors. When I booted with the new processor everything was just like it was before except a little faster.

You might not get a faster processor at all by pulling your scam. If you have the non-Coppermine setup you can only go to a 600 and those are all gone. You will likely get what they have on hand unless they are willing to change out the MB.

You can get a good MB with a 1600 Athlon for $100. Another $50 for DDR RAM and you will have a much faster running system than screwing around trying to bilk the warranty.

Once you burn out your processor you will be without your computer until they get to you. My neighbor legitimately burned out his video card and it was nearly two weeks before he had a computer again. And you would have to hope they didn’t have some old stuff laying around and put you about where your are now.

12. brianF

brianF

closing this thread. I don't believe these forums where created to assist in petty fraud. Any problem, take it up with the forum admins

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/97246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice