How to get ability to allow you to read "ntfs"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

royeo

I have FC-6 and use KDE.

When I had FC-5 you could go to "http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/187/" and download a module based on the kernel you were using, allowing you to read "ntfs".

I was told that FC-6 had that ability natively. But my FC-6 doesn't recognize "ntfs". Is there a site I can go to, to get a module allowing this? Or do I need to do something to enable native ability to read "ntfs"?

Thanks,

royeo

mattice06082 said:
I'm no expert, but isn't samba used for this?
Hi mattice06082,

Samba is a 3rd party piece of software, whereas, the topic refers to a Linux kernel capability/module internal to Linux to read NTFS file systems and mount them providing access to a Windows disk/partition.

The FC6 release apparently has this kernel module ready to be integrated into it by installing it from Fedora Extras.

-- Tom

Don't think it is Fedora's policy to support read/write ntfs partitions out of the box.

To install ntfs-3g as root
Code:
yum -y install ntfs-3g
To mount it say the ntfs partition is in /dev/sda2
Code:
mkdir /mnt/Windows
ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /mnt/windows
Worked OK for my FC6 and FC5. Haven't tested it extensively but seems to write alright to me. ntfs-3g seems to be the most reliable tool at the moment.

Can be regarded as an overkill if you are interested in only reading and not writing the ntfs partitions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!