How to get administrator permission to restore files in the recycle bin?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BIGALX58

By mistake I sent a folder, containing photos...2.3 MB, to the recycle bin. I have always been able to restore files from the bin in the past. Today I can't because I don't have admin permission. How can I get the permission? If not, how can I restore the folder back to my photo gallery? Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Open C drive
on organize - folder and search options click view
check show hidden files and folders and UNCHECK hide protected operating system files - agree the warning
open recycle bin in that location
the top one is the bin on your desktop
see if it will restore from there

if that does not work I suspect you will find other problems - for instance can you access system restore.

BIGALX58

It worked!!! At least, when I opened the bin, nothing was there...and the pics were in the photo gallery. Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers
Have you checked if all appears in order with the permissions on your account

BIGALX58

Oops! The file that I mentioned originally is back in the recycle bin....I don't know what's going on!!! Anyway, I did what you suggested again and it didn't work...it still asks for admin permission. #$#$#%^))*

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
for instance can you access system restore.
as above I know I said if it did not work - the restore from the recycle bin, but I think it best to check
NOTE your last posted as I was typing

try cmd prompt admin rights
type
sfc /scannow

BIGALX58

I can get as far as sfc / scannow and what do you enter on the next line?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
you do not enter anything you type
sfc /scannow

you then press enter

I think you have the space wrong

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I am signing off it is 0035
I was just about to press big switch when I saw your reply

DID you right click and run the cmd prompt as admin
try cmd prompt admin rights
that is windows button
type
cmd
when it appears above right click and click run as admin

When Restoring from the recycle bin, are you using the same account as where the picture files belong to ? You should be using the same account which owns the pictures.

BIGALX58

No...I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Thanks for your help...it's getting late for you.

BIGALX58

Good morning/afternoon Mac....I figured out how to run sfc and it found no violations. I deleted the file from the recycle bin because I found that I still have all of the pictures in the photo gallery. Maybe this is a one time occurrence.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online